How intriguing does a writing contest sound to you? For me, it’s the opportunity to write, to be able to express myself in a way that spoken words cannot. I mean there’s a reason why most of the exams are conducted in a written form- they say that the written word is expressed in a much better way than the spoken ones.
Now you might think “what does any of this have anything to do with an article writing contest?”
Well, if you’re someone who loves to write, or someone who’s always been curious to see how well you can write, or someone who just wants to explore their options, you SHOULD definitely enter these contests.
So, here are 5 reasons why you should enter writing contests.
- Rewards: Yes, all the contests have some reward to offer. It could be a simple cash prize or you might get a chance to publish your article with an author or get a chance to win goodies. Well, whatever it is, we all love prizes, don’t we? So this is one of the major reasons why so many people participate in writing contests. You never know if you could win a prize. And apart from the validation of the quality of your writing, you’ll have gotten something tangible as well
- A window for Opportunities: Okay, imagine. You write a beautiful piece but you don’t have the money to get it to publish and neither are you sure about your writing skills so you don’t do anything about it. Then suddenly a writing contest is announced and you participate in it. You send them that same piece and they end up loving it so much that they want you to collaborate. How amazing does that sound? I know it’s a long shot to think about anything like that but hey! at least you don’t have anything to lose.
- Portfolio : If you want to pursue your career as a writer, then there’s nothing you need more than an impressive portfolio. A lot of writing contests publish the winning writing pieces on their websites, and you can use it to your advantage. It will also help you bag your dream job! And let’s be honest here who doesn’t want a chance to get published? and being published in magazines or websites can instantly boost your career as a writer and give you an easier time getting published in other places. You can also attach your writing pieces so that the potential clients know that they’re hiring someone who has experience.
- Practice: Practice makes one perfect, right? Well, I cannot assure you if you can become a perfect writer, but I can assure you that you’ll become much better with every entry that you send in. All your hard work and editing your write-ups will have the effect of honing your writing abilities, making you much better at writing a top-notch piece.
- Broaden your horizons: The writing contests often require the participants to write on a broad variety of topics, which means that the participants get to broaden their knowledge base and get better at conducting better research on different topics as well. These contests help out a lot when you begin to write for clients from different industries because you’ll be able to work efficiently and maximize the use of your time.
The Bottom Line:
The thing that should matter is not if you win but how much you learn. These writing contests are an excellent opportunity to learn, to experience new things, to know and understand one’s abilities. That is why you shouldn’t shy away from entering them.